Wednesday, January 23, 2008

There is a Season, Turn, Turn, Turn...

Living in Montevideo has gotten me all confused: I went from skiing at Big Mountain in the middle of winter, to overheating in the middle of summer down here. As I'm typing this it is 9:30 at night and it is 80 in my room. And then I here from home that it's been below zero...crazy! It's one of those things that you grow up learning about in school: "The southern hemisphere is summer when the northern hemisphere is winter" but never really hits you until you experience it. Another interesting thing is that December, January, and February is like our June, July, and August and everyone is taking their summer holidays/vacations. Kids are out of school and the atmosphere of the city feels really relaxed. Not to mention all the Argentine and Brazilian tourists on the beaches( or playas in Spanish, for those of you who want to learn some new words ;P ). And then it's going to be weird when we move into fall and winter as we move along in the semester and I come back home to spring and summer. Culture shock...
Along the same lines is the time difference. I am currently 5 hours ahead of Mountain Standard Time and it really makes you think when you try to send a message home or see when someone is online. When I go to bed at 11, my family is probably eating dinner and when I get up at 7 the only person who might be up is mi hermana (Larkin) who should only be up if elle estudia (she is studying)!
All of this makes me stop and think about what make the world tick, what "keeps us spinning at our perfect 23" (from a Chris Rice song). It's incredible to see the amazing power and wisdom of our Creator who spoke everything into existence knowing that the earth would have to be tilted toward the sun and spin at a certain speed and rotate around the sun at a certain speed and at a certain distance. He is AWESOME for what he has done for us...for me. And it's my responsibility and my prayer to live my life for his glory each and every day.

1 comment:

Laramy Applekamp said...

you should make every entry's title a line from a song...wonder how long you could keep that up...:P
lla